This handout presumes you already know why should you cite your sources (to determine your authority, english proposal essay topics to introduce evidence that is persuasive in order to avoid plagiarism, etc.), These instructions consider exactly exactly how you format the page. (For a reference to assist you figure out how to cite a source that is specific start to see the MLA Bibliography Builder).
To completely cite a supply calls for two phases. The initial occurs within the body of one’s paper (the “in-text citation”) in addition to 2nd occurs on an independent web web page at the conclusion of the paper (see “Works Cited List,” below.)
Citing a Block Quote (more than three lines)
- Long quotes can begin to appear like filler. Only work with a block estimate when you yourself have an excellent explanation to add the passage that is whole. (it is possible to often make your point having a smaller estimate.)
- Should you have valid reason to quote a passage this is certainly a few lines very long:
- Select the click and text the “Increase Indent” icon (see image, appropriate).
- Put the citation that is parentheticalthe author’s title in addition to web page quantity) following the duration. (this will be distinctive from inline quotes, below.)
- There is absolutely no comma between your author’s name as well as the web page quantity.
- In the event that quote runs across one or more web page: (Wordsworth-Fuller 20-21) or (Wordsworth-Fuller 420-21).
- Skip wordy introductions such as for example, “In his informative guide The Amazing Writing Book, posted by Elizabeth Mount university this year, the noted structure specialist Maxwell Wordsworth-Fuller defines the significance of citations in MLA design documents.” Cutting the filler makes more space to produce your very own ideas that are original. (See “Integrating Quotations.”)